Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Restaurant Review: Porto's Bakery

So, today a friend and I took a drive down to Downey, CA and visited Porto's Bakery. Overall, I have to say I think this place is heaven in bakery form. It focuses on good cuban food, and the pastelitos de carne (meat pies) are absolutely to die for! I also tried the Opera cake, the Mille Feuille cup, flan, pastelitos de guayaba y queso and just cheese. Everything was well worth the calories though.

One word of advice, though. If you really want to get the best experience out of Porto's, choose to go for EITHER a meal OR snack nomming. I made the mistake of trying to start out with a broccoli cheese soup in a bread bowl, THEN try to eat my fill of pastries and treats. BAD IDEA. I was SO full that I couldn't even finish my half of the treats we had picked out, and ended up having to bring a lot of them home. Also, this place gets very busy, especially since we went at around lunch time, so I wouldn't recommend it if you only have a half-hour lunch break.

This place also takes big orders in advance of pastelitos, which I promptly ordered for Super Bowl Sunday. I also do have to say that the customer service here was very prompt and friendly, although one girl that helped us did seem like she hated her job and wasn't very enthused to serve us.

This place is definitely one that you want to take a day-trip to, and there are other locations in Glendale and Burbank.

No comments:

Post a Comment